Monday, July 30, 2012

Not Quite "People of Walmart"...Yet

So I haven't showered yet today. Nice...right? It wouldn't be so bad if I hadn't run this morning at 6:00 but heat + humidity + run + me = stinky. I actually changed out of the morning running clothes into clean running clothes...but I still stink.

When you have kids, something happens, you become an extension of their mess. Your mess just doesn't seem to matter as much anymore. Or if it does...you just don't have as  much time to fix it up. When your kids are babies you go through a phase where everything you own smells like spit-up or sour milk. You are changing diapers (pee and poop...yuk!) and you barely have time to spend a minute on yourself. You are too busy following behind them wiping noses, and faces, and bottoms. Picking up the mess they leave behind, whether it be toys, or crayons, or books, or snacks, or juice boxes. Then, as the children multiply and age,  so do their needs and your responsibilities. They need to be driven places, entertained, scheduled for play dates, camps, sports, etc. They need to go to the doctor and to the dentist. In our case, we have ABA  therapy and social groups to attend. Even though they have gained so much independence they still need so much.  My kids are a full time job!  

I'm not complaining. This is a choice (to use my time in other ways) and I will get to that shower eventually...but I used to swear I would never leave the house without looking put together. Well, I am not in the "people of Walmart category" (yet) but I have been known to leave the house with a wet head (at least I showered...right) and deodorant on my shirt (at least I remembered to put some on). These days, what I deem acceptable attire for a trip to the commissary or park is far different than what I would have ever considered before I had kids. "Sprucing up" is less important that the 60 billion other things I want to try to do or needs I try to meet in a day.
Craft for the day

So, here I sit. In a running skirt and Under Armour top. I've spent the day grocery shopping, making an Indiana Jones satchel out of a paper bag and duct tape, updating i-touch's, ipods, and computers, folding laundry, unpacking from a weekend trip, dropping off and picking up from camp, filling the car with gas, and checking FB about 80 times (yes...I am addicted). Now it's time to make dinner...and I still need a shower. 

No comments:

Post a Comment